Monday 9 September 2013

1994 Upper Deck Central Region


Lets start early this Monday (it's not yet 9am when I'm writing and after a weekend that is something!)

We all know that sometimes the design chosen for the cards is not the best. We wonder how the brands designers got the idea for such layouts but we cannot figure it out.

The first time I got cards for the '94 UD set I was quite unimpressed. That stretched photo on the left side made me twist.

We all know that Upper Deck brings us almost every time a photo on the front and other on the back.

That's enough people! No need to re-print the front picture all stretched on the side.

But ok...I got over that and started enjoying the set.

Why? Because UD is all about photo!

Look at the top card.

I know it was a jump made for the photo session but none the same it came out pretty good!

I love Melvin Nieves card. But I cannot turn it. The back photo looks too much of 'Macho Latino' to my taste.

Keep it to the game you know. Too much gym look-a-like photos and I'm off.



Now, a pitcher at the plate. I know Nick at dimebox has a special love for this kind of cards. And I agree with his interest. They sure are rare and quite fun.

Kevin Gross has other interesting thing which is the name at the back of the shirt. Usually is just the last name that appears but here he has written on the back 'K. Gross'. But from what I found about '93 Dodgers roster they didn't have an other Gross to get people confused.

Jim Eisenreich got me thinking I had a Molitor card for a moment. I find them somehow similar.

Then Ryan Bowen and Jason Bere.

Bere's card enters in one category that I like: second here cards. I like cards for players entering their second year at the majors because the stats shows the year line and the total line equal. With same values.

Go figure...



Now two of my favourite cards from the 3 packs.

Ricky Gutierrez flying over Jeff Branson from the Reds, I think, in a double play in which I'm sure Branson got safe. Gutierrez looks really like facing the ground in no time! That's the adventure of being a 2B or SS.

The photo on the back of his photo is also a double play. But a more safely one.

Dan Wilson is trying to get a player out who tried to steal second. The photo shows the effort he's putting into it.

The back photo is also a great one with Wilson getting prepared for the game putting the catcher gear on. Or is he take it off?



Here I have three players in the second ML year: Jeromy Burnitz, Rob Butler and Denny Hocking.

Butler wins between them because he has a WS title from '93. That and the fact that in the back photo the catcher seems to be 'feeling' his 'back-end'.

Then Milt Thompson and Ryan Thompson.

The two have the same last name but the winning Thompson is mister Ryan.

Why?

From his wiki page:  He is perhaps best known for hitting a line drive off the face of Red Sox pitcher Bryce Florie while with the Yankees.



Allen Watson is a new entry to my Front Row collection. And one of the best exemplars!

And Watson is also a second year card.

Ken Hill with a dugout close up and John Doherty with a elastic arm.



Now these 4 cards have all something to pay attention.

Both photos on Todd Hundley's card looks from the same play. I think the play didn't go well.

Then Scott Lydy with a great front photo. A lightsaber batting style! Also a second year card. If playing the Cuff's game it would make him get a +10!

Mister Bernie Williams should have processed UD for this photo. But I think I saw an other card of him with the same expression.

He is in pain, isn't he?

It makes me laugh everytime I look at his card thinking he was doing everything to reach the home plate as quick as possible so he could finally got to the WC.

Ending is Rondell White with the kick. If that foot means a super bat than he hit a homer.



To end the packs some more great cards.

Tino Martinez is also an new entry to my flying collection (still deciding the best name to call it).

Jose Rijo, besides having a funny name (at least in Portuguese) seems to always have great photos. I'm still wondering if the front photo is from a game of from a photo shot.

Brett Butler with a bunt and 'glove-on-the-back' photo from a teammate.

And finally Bo Jackson in the press interview probably from the announcement of his acquirement by the Angels.


That's all for the first 3 packs. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the squished photo. Perhaps it was cool at the time, but whaaa?

    But you're right, the excellent photography gets you past that weirdness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other thing that bothers me in the design is the position that gets sooooooo hard to read. On the front and on the back.

      Delete