Thursday 22 November 2012

Cards Chase - 1988 Topps Bigs pack

I'm finally arriving to the las couple of packs from the Card Chase box I purchased a few months ago.

This post is for one pack of 1988 Topps Big cards.


Comparing to the other cards at the time they really were big!


This set was released in 3 series. I got a pack from the first. So lets see what I got.


They are pretty glossy and all. With half of the card being players head and the other half some play moment.

It seems like Topps were trying to bring back the middle '50s cards design. But that white border around the player's head makes me go bahhhhhh. Like one of those collage we do as kids.

#8 Alan Trammell SS@DET - A 2K hits club member ranking #124 with 2,365 hits.

#9 Will Clark 1B@SF - A card from his first ASG year.

#22 B.J. Surhoff C@MIL - An other 2K hit club member this time ranking #136 with 2,326 hits.

#25 Bobby Bonilla 3B/OF@PIT - And this card goes directly to my 'dust-is-in-the-air' collection! And in this year Bonilla would have his first ASG sellection and would win his first Silver Slugger Award. But who cares since there is dust!?

#38 Lance McCullers P@SD - Blast! I got him 1 year from becoming a Yankee. Was he one of those 'submarine' Pitchers? It seems looking at the way he is preparing to throw the ball.

#54 Marty Barret 2B@BOS - He is looking at what?

#58 Greg Gagne SS@MIN - He sure does look happy. It has something to do with the fact the Twins were the WS champs in '87.


And here are the back of the cards.

Cartoon backs! Love it!

Some might say it's random facts about players and what they want are numbers. But I do like a lot those trivia moments.

I got to like best the Bonilla trivia of him having an hobby of 'working with home computers'. But Trammell couple of marriage trivia got my girly girl side happy.

I can live with only one year stats followed by career totals up to that year if it means having cartoons.

And these cartoon moments are all in colour! What else can I ask for?

So, this pack got me one card for theme collection and two players I like (Clark and Gagne).

No comments:

Post a Comment